Monday, March 02, 2009

version three of the beta

I started work today on the third version of the villa map. I haven't worked on this project in nearly a month, but in that time I've been directed to a couple of sites (fpsbanana and HL2DM University) to promote the map, and both have been immensely helpful. I wanted to get feedback from outside sources and sure enough, there were at least a dozen pretty important issues that most likely never would have thought of fixing.
The biggest issue has to do with overall performance. FPS were pretty volatile on a lot of machines, and it was enough jumpy for me when I played on a server in Japan. I'm going to do a bit of reading but I know there are some ways to boost performance without hurting the looks of the map or the gameplay. For now I'm going to increase the lightmaps (reducing the shading quality)and compile the map in LDR to make it easier to download and install.

No comments: