Wednesday, April 22, 2009

the learning process

Learning a new skill set can at times take an amount of patience that you might never have known you had. The villa map I'm working on is still my first major solo project that I'm aiming to release to the public, and it's the first major project I've done with the latest version of the Hammer Editor. That means that some days I'll spend five, maybe six hours working on a room that's roughly the size of my bedroom, just ironing out wrinkles and correcting mistakes. That's not a bad thing, though, and this is where patience becomes important. 
For every portion of a map I spend five hours on one day, the next day I'll tackle something just like in time enough for my Pasta Roni to finish cooking. It's a fantastic feeling when you have solid evidence that you're learning something, like you can actually prove to yourself that you're not just wasting laaaarge chunks of time. And I mean those chunks of time can feel large! 

No comments: