Friday, January 09, 2009

one full day of work

Today was a challenge. I've spent eight hours working only to be exactly where I was when I started today. This must be a common experience for anyone that is designing a level without much experience: I found myself working on one small aspect that I don't like, like the look of the living room for instance, making changes for hours only to have it look the same when I'm done. I must have done that for four hours today until I took a break (bowling!) and came back at it from a fresh angle. Sure enough, I got at least something minor done! I added some of the fundamental elements for a multiplayer level (multiple spawn points ftw), and I fixed up a few areas where the player has a tendancy to get caught on the geometry while running.

On a more constructive note, I spent a few hours today reading through some literature on level design and finding a career in the games industry. There were a lot of great pointers in the former and quite a few insights in the latter. If I feel motivated at some point I'll write down what I've learned. Lots of great stuff, it's just 2 in the morning and I think I need to reboot for tonight.

No comments: